If you have some “Bad Apples” on your team, you have a unique opportunity to clean house.
Face it if you have people who are less than ideal, you’ve likely missed some opportunities to improve their performance. Now’s your chance to fix that situation by laying them off. Here’s how you do it with the maximum amount of compassion:
1. Rank Your Employees into 3 categories
A simple A, B, C system is all you need where a) These are your star employees. They are reliable, do great work and you can trust them; b) These are your steady employees who do what’s needed and require very little energy to keep on track; and c) These are your “Bad Apples”. They frustrate you because of their ongoing repeat performance issues.
Use your ranking system to decide who will be let go.
2. Talk to your Employees
Start with a conversation where you explain what’s happening to your revenue and that you will need to let some people go and only keep a skeleton staff. Then tell them that you’ll be meeting with everyone individually to discuss how this change will affect them.
3. Keep it Professional with Compassion
There is nothing more stressful than losing your job. And losing your job in these uncertain times is even more stressful so follow a few simple rules:
- Get one or more of your company’s leaders to help you by implementing a buddy system. Each lay off conversation is done by 2 people so you can support each other while navigating an emotional conversation;
- Keep it honest but brief by repeating the facts of how your business is impacted and that you need to let them go.
- Get all the paperwork ready in advance to allow your affected people to access unemployment insurance quickly.
4. Gather Your Remaining Team
Let them know that you want to handle this crisis by having everyone participate in the solution. Then discuss further lay-offs or salary cuts and get them to provide their input to come up with a plan. Implement the plan while continuing to inform everyone of changes as they arise.
If you need help to apply Downsizing Best Practices join me for a 1 hour seminar where you can get your specific questions answered: Who to downsize; How to do it; What to say in emails, group and individual meetings with those affected; and How to bounce back and jump on new opportunities when things turn around. Register here https://dreamteam.solutions/seminars/